Children are the innocent parties when parents separate and it is so important that their best interests are at the heart of any decisions made should this happen. It can be extremely difficult to view your individual situations in an objective and non judgemental light which is where enlisting the help of a trained family and child law professional can be invaluable.
Financial arrangements and custodial logistics in the aftermath of divorce or civil partnership dissolution will have to be decided upon as calmly and efficiently as possible, so the option to embark on a session of family mediation instead of going straight through the courts may well be beneficial where appropriate. Please note in any cases involving domestic violence or abuse, mediation will not be considered.
Our specialist family lawyers can:
- advise you on your rights to see your child and to obtain a parental responsibility order entitling you to be involved in decisions affecting their life;
- advise you on your options when one parent proposes to live abroad;
- provide unmarried couples advice when it comes to child arrangements;
- take steps to protect your children from domestic violence or abuse;
- assess your personal and financial circumstances to give you an idea of the types of order a court might make;
- support you in exploring options for a negotiated agreement;
- apply to the court for a child arrangements order where a negotiated agreement cannot be reached; and
- apply to the court to enforce the terms of a child arrangements order which is breached.
We can also help grandparents who wish to secure the right to see their grandchildren and offer advice and support to families whose children have been taken into local authority care or put up for adoption.
Advising families throughout Maidstone, Kent and beyond
We can also offer meetings by skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment / Legal aid
We offer an initial appointment with Avril to discuss your requirements from £100 plus VAT. Legal aid may also be available in certain cases and is normally always available for defending care proceedings and taking steps to protect against domestic violence or child abuse