Unfortunately unmarried couples are not privy to the same legal rights that are given to those that are, and this is especially prevalent when it comes to financial and childcare arrangements should the relationship be unsuccessful. Ideally, making clear from the start who would be entitled to what with regards to housing, children, assets in the event of death and so on would be the perfect situation, although this is not something that a lot of unmarried couples will think about.
As an example, if a child is born to unmarried parents and the father is not named on the birth certificate, that parent has no legal rights over the child unless the mother is in agreement or a parental responsibility order is sought.
At Morlings Solicitors in Maidstone, our experienced family lawyers are experts at providing advice to unmarried couples on a wide variety of issues, including but not limited to:
- cohabitation agreements, which detail everything from who owns what to responsibility for bills and debts;
- arrangements for children, particularly where one partner wants to be involved in a child’s life through adoption or the grant of parental responsibility;
- organisation of property ownership and bank accounts, to ensure everything is either in joint or individual names, depending on what has been agreed;
- the resolution of a property dispute where there is disagreement about ownership issues or tenancy rights;
- pension sharing where there is uncertainty about your partner’s entitlement;
- inheritance rights and making a will to ensure your wishes are carried out;
- compromise agreements to formally severe ties if your relationship breaks down;
- financial arrangements; and
- disputes about children.
Aiming to reach agreements in the most amicable way possible, if initial discussions prove difficult we can arrange a family mediation session or adopt a collaborative law approach. If necessary, we can also refer matters to the family court although we would try to use this as a last resort where possible.
Advising families throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Maidstone, Gravesend, Tonbridge, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by skype where appropriate In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment
We offer an initial appointment with Avril to discuss your requirements from £95 plus VAT.
Get in touch
Call us on 01622 673081 if you need our help. Alternatively complete our Contact Us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.