Civil Partnership Dissolution

Ending a civil partnership is a sad and stressful time for all involved, but enlisting the help of a family solicitor can at least ensure that all steps required are followed quickly and efficiently and that your best interests are considered and protected. This is especially important where there are minors involved in the relationship, with regards to financial provisions and custodial and visitation arrangements.

Much the same as a divorce, initially checks will need to be undergone to verify your relationship meets the criteria for dissolution. You will need to have been legally recognised as in a civil partnership for a minimum of one year and that you have decided to separate under one of the five accepted categories. These are adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion, living apart for more than two years and both parties agree to dissolution, or living apart for more than five years with no intention to reconcile.

We engage in a non-confrontational, calm approach when dealing with your situation on your behalf and will negotiate with your partner and their law aide on any issues you are struggling with.

Morlings have an exceptionally experienced family law team who will:

  • check that you are eligible to apply for a dissolution and advise you on how to obtain a legal separation where the eligibility criteria are not met;
  • complete the necessary paperwork;
  • support you in making suitable arrangements and in resolving disputes about children;
  • help you to apply for a parental responsibility in respect of a child you have cared for;
  • help you to sort out financial matters and to resolve property disputes;
  • advise you on making a will or updating an existing will;
  • liaise with pension providers when required to split pension benefits;
  • explain the options available to help you reach an amicable agreement, including family mediation or collaborative law; and
  • vigorously represent your interest if any aspect of your dissolution ends up before the courts.

We can also help with any issues concerning domestic violence or abuse, however in these cases the option of mediation will not be appropriate.

Advising families throughout Maidstone, Kent and beyond

We have offices in Maidstone, Gravesend, Tonbridge, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.

We can also offer meetings by skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad.  In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.

Fixed cost initial appointment / Legal aid

We offer an initial appointment with Avril to discuss your requirements from £100 plus VAT. Legal aid may also be available in certain cases and is normally always available for defending care proceedings and taking steps to protect against domestic violence or child abuse

Get in touch with our civil partnership dissolution solicitors in Maidstone, Kent

Call us on 01622 673081 if you need our help. Alternatively please complete our Contact Us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.