If you need some professional assistance in the management of the affairs of either yourself on a loved one, you can enlist the help of a professional trustee. You may feel that there may not be a family member or close friend that you would be comfortable allocating this responsibility to, or it may be that choosing just one would cause unnecessary conflict. You can determine when this trusteeship should begin in a range of ways; for example it can be immediate, in the event of diminished mental capacity or in the event of death.
Working alongside your family, a professional trustee can:
- ensure your affairs are handled in accordance with your wishes;
- ensure your best interests are protected at all times;
- ensure money is invested wisely;
- ensure the needs of you and your family continue to be met;
- prevent money being wasted or misappropriated;
- help make it easier to reach difficult decisions or to achieve consensus on controversial issues; and
- ensure all legal requirements are complied with so your family does not have to worry about this.
Morlings solicitors offer a professional trustee service through our Private Client team which enables you to appoint one of our solicitors, either alone or in conjunction with someone else, to act as:
- a trustee under the terms of a trust, established to ensure, for example, the careful management of a personal injury compensation payment or the preservation of money held in a family trust fund;
- an attorney under the terms of a lasting power of attorney, created to ensure someone of your choosing has authority to make decisions on your behalf if you become unable to make them yourself;
- a deputy under the terms of a deputyship order made by the Court of Protection where no lasting power of attorney exists; and
- an executor under the terms of your will, to ensure your affairs are in order and your estate is distributed according to your wishes.
Advising families throughout Maidstone, Kent and beyond
We can also offer meetings at your home, in hospital or in a care facility or via skype where appropriate.
An initial appointment to discuss your requirements can be arranged from £150 plus VAT. After that we can agree funding arrangements to suit your budget. For some cases involving the Court of Protection legal aid may be available.